BEFORE YOU PURCHASE A PUPPY ...
ASK THE BREEDER:
1) Are the dam and sire screened for genetic problems the breed is known to have?
2) What are the common problems found in this breed?
3) Do you offer a guarantee? May I have a copy to take with me?
4) How many years have you bred Goldens?
5) How many litters do you have per year?
5) What CKC/AKC activities do you do with your dogs?
6) May I see a pedigree?
7) May I see the dam? The sire? Any relatives?
8) May I see the clearances and screening results of the sire and dam?
9) Are you members of your breed club?
1) Does the dam have the kind of temperament and personality that I desire in my puppy?
2) Are the premises clean?
3) Are the dogs clean?
4) Are the dogs happy? Friendly? Well-behaved?
5) Is this breeder knowledgeable? Caring? Friendly?
6) Is this the breeder that I want to deal with? That I could have a rapport with?
BE PREPARED TO ANSWER:
1) Why do you want this dog? What do you expect of him?
2) Do you have the proper facilities to care for a dog?
3) Do you realize that owning a dog is an expense?
4) Do you realize that owning a dog is an every day thing; not a spur-of-the-moment purchase?
5) Have you owned other dogs? If so, what breed(s)?
6) What happened to them?
7) Will you keep in touch as to the progress (and any problems) of this dog?
8) Do you have a fenced yard?
9) Are you an active household?
10) Do you have children?
11) Is anyone home during the day?
12) Are you prepared to commit the time it will take to train this puppy?
13) Will you call me first if you ever feel that you have to re-home this dog?
If, after reading the above things to consider, you are still interested in getting a Golden Retriever puppy, please fill out our Puppy Buyer Questionnaire.